波达克(Poldark) 第02季 第08集 第07期

发表时间:2018-10-12内容来源:VOA英语学习网

没有 No.

他好吗 Is he well?

他向你致意 He sends his compliments

还说很遗憾 and ses that it's a shame

你把莱杰矿井的股份都卖了 that you've sold all of your shares in Wheal Leisure.

我说他一定是错了 I said he was mistaken

你要是真卖了 肯定会告诉我 for sure if you had, you'd have told me.

我早就想提了 I've been meaning to mention this for some time..

但不知该从何说起 But not quite sure how to begin.

你也知道 As you know,

弗兰西斯将他仅剩的六百镑投入了格蕾丝矿井 Francis sunk his last six hundred pounds into Wheal Grace.

是啊 Yes.

他死后 给伊丽莎白留下了巨债 When he died he left Elizabeth with considerable debts.

为缓解她的窘境 To relieve her poverty,

我买下了他在格蕾丝矿井的全部股份 I bought all his shares in Wheal Grace

是通过第三方代买 through a third party,

因为她不会接受这样的馈赠 knowing she would not accept the money as a gift.

但为什么你要... But why should you?

因为我觉得责任沉重 Because I felt under a burden of obligation

对弗兰西斯 对他的家人 to Francis - and his family

如今这责任卸下了 which is now discharged.

不过当时 我们还有特伦康那份收入 Of course, at the time, we had Trencrom's money coming in.

但埋伏之后... Since the ambush.

你生气吗 Are you angry?

气你帮助伊丽莎白 That you help Elizabeth.

还有杰弗里·查尔斯 And Geoffrey Charles.

让我和杰里米自己照顾自己 And leave Jeremy and me to fend for ourselves?

我会照顾你们 You have me to fend for you.

而他们没别人了 They have no-one.

你确定吗 Are you sure?

就我所知 乔治帮了不少忙呢 From what I hear George is being very obliging.

如果伊丽莎白肯 他自然愿意 Doubtless he would be if Elizabeth would let him.

但她不会的 But she will not.

弗兰西斯死前 乔治的野心 George's ambitions, before Francis died,

就是在我们两家之间制造不和 was to drive a wedge between our two families

来自:VOA英语网 文章地址: http://www.tingvoa.com/html/20181012/Poldark-02-08-7.html