泰戈尔诗歌精选 第46期:吉檀迦利41

发表时间:2017-10-12内容来源:VOA英语学习网

41.Where dost thou stand behind them all, my lover, hiding thyself in the shadows?

41.我的情人,你站在大家背后,藏在何处的阴影中呢?

They push thee and pass thee by on the dusty road, taking thee for naught.

在尘土飞扬的道上,他们把你推开走过、没有理睬你。

I wait here weary hours spreading my offerings for thee, while passers-by come and take my flowers, one by one, and my basket is nearly empty.

在乏倦的时间,我摆开礼品来等候你,过路的人把我的香花一朵一朵地拿去,我的花篮几乎空了。

The morning time is past, and the noon.

清晨,中午都过去了。

In the shade of evening my eyes are drowsy with sleep.

暮色中,我倦眼蒙胧。

Men going home glance at me and smile and fill me with shame.

回家的人们瞟着我微笑,使我满心羞惭。

I sit like a beggar maid, drawing my skirt over my face, and when they ask me, what it is I want, I drop my eyes and answer them not.

我像女丐一般地坐着,拉起裙儿盖上脸,当他们问我要什么的时候,我垂目没有答应。

Oh, how, indeed, could I tell them that for thee I wait, and that thou hast promised to come.

呵,真的,我怎能告诉他们说我是在等候你,而且你也应许说你一定会来。

How could I utter for shame that I keep for my dowry this poverty.

我又怎能抱愧地说我的妆奁就是贫穷。

Ah, I hug this pride in the secret of my heart.

呵,我在我心的微隐处紧抱着这一段骄荣。

I sit on the grass and gaze upon the sky and dream of the sudden splendour of thy coming

我坐在草地上凝望天空,梦想着你来临时候那忽然炫耀的豪华

---all the lights ablaze, golden pennons flying over thy car, and they at the roadside standing agape,

--万彩交辉,车辇上金旗飞扬,在道旁众目睽睽之下,

when they see thee come down from thy seat to raise me from the dust,

你从车座下降,把我从尘埃中扶起坐立你的旁边,

and set at thy side this ragged beggar girl a-tremble with shame and pride, like a creeper in a summer breeze.

这褴褛的丐女,含羞带喜,像蔓藤在暴风中颤摇。

But time glides on and still no sound of the wheels of thy chariot.

但是时间流过了,还听不见你的车辇的轮声。

Many a procession passes by with noise and shouts and glamour of glory.

许多仪仗队伍都在光彩喧闹中走过了。

Is it only thou who wouldst stand in the shadow silent and behind them all?

你只要静默地站在他们背后吗?

And only I who would wait and weep and wear out my heart in vain longing?

我只能哭泣着等待,把我的心折磨在空虚的伫望之中吗?

来自:VOA英语网 文章地址: http://www.tingvoa.com/html/20171012/501671.html