The english we speak(BBC教学)第33期:sleep a wink 合眼

发表时间:2017-10-10内容来源:VOA英语学习网

Neil:Welcome to The English We Speak with me - a very tired Neil - and Feifei.

尼尔:欢迎大家和我一起来到我们所说的英语---我们是非常疲惫的尼尔和菲菲。

Feifei:Hi, I'm Feifei.

菲菲:大家好,我是菲菲。

Neil: Oh, Feifei, I'm so tired.

尼尔:哦,菲菲,我好累啊。

Feifei: Me too. The kids?

菲菲:我也是。是孩子们吗?

Neil: Ah, the kids kept me awake all night. As soon as one of them went back to sleep, the other one started screaming. What's your excuse?

尼尔:啊,孩子们折腾了我一夜。一旦他们其中的一个去睡觉了,另一个就会开始尖叫。你的理由是什么?

Feifei: A mosquito.

菲菲:一只蚊子。

Neil: A mosquito?

尼尔:一只蚊子?

Feifei: Yes, there was a mosquito in my room. Every time I turned the light off and tried to go to sleep I heard buzzing in my ear. I haven't slept a wink.

菲菲:是的,我屋子里有一只蚊子。每次我关上灯想睡觉就能听到我耳朵边嗡嗡的声音。我一夜都没合眼。

Neil: And I haven't slept a wink either! A wink is when you close and open one of your eyes very quickly once - usually to show friendliness or that you are having a joke with someone.It's also a verb - to wink.

尼尔:我也一夜没合眼!眨眼就是你关上又睁开你的一只眼的非常快的动作,经常用来表示友好或者你和某人开玩笑。这也是一个动词--眨眼。

Feifei: So, if you say 'I haven't slept a wink' it means that you've had so little sleep,your eye didn't even close once!

菲菲:所以,如果你说“我一直没合眼”,这意思是你几乎没有睡觉,你的眼睛甚至一次也没合过!

Neil: That's right. It's an exaggeration. Here are some examples:

尼尔:说得对。这是一个夸张的说法。这里是一些例子:

A: You look terrible! What's the matter?

A:你看起来很糟糕!发生了什么?

B: I haven't slept a wink. It was a really bad idea to move to a flat next to a pub.

B:我一直没合眼。搬到酒吧旁边的公寓居住真是一个坏想法。

A: How about a trip to the cinema tonight?

A:今晚去电影院一趟怎么样?

B: Sorry I can't. I haven't slept a wink. There were cats outside fighting all night.

B:对不起我不行。我一直没合眼。整晚都有猫们在外面打架。

Neil: So, we can use 'I haven't slept a wink' to say that we are very tired because we haven't had much sleep. I can't wait to get home tonight and just jump into bed... I don't know how I'm going to get through the rest of this programme, let alone the rest of the day.

尼尔:所以,我们可以用“我一直没合眼”来说我们很疲惫因为我们没怎么睡觉。我等不及今晚回家跳上床了...我不知道我该怎样挺过接下来的节目,更不要说剩下的一天了。

Feifei: Me neither.

菲菲:我也是。

Neil: Nice and quiet in here, though, isn't it?

尼尔:这里很好很安静,不是吗?

Feifei: And dark.

菲菲:而且昏暗。

Neil: Do you think anyone would notice if we just...

尼尔:你觉得有人会注意到吗,如果我们...

Feifei: That's a great idea! I'll just put these two chairs together.

菲菲:这是一个好办法!我会把这两个椅子放到一起。

Neil: And I'll rest my head on this desk and...

尼尔:我会把头放在桌子上然后...

Both: Argh! Kids! Mosquitos! Is there anywhere to sleep? Argh!

一起:啊!孩子们!蚊子!还有其他睡觉的地方吗?啊!

来自:VOA英语网 文章地址: http://www.tingvoa.com/html/20171010/501070.html