TED十佳演讲之说什么 单词的诞生(07)

发表时间:2017-09-12内容来源:VOA英语学习网

And just for contrast, we can do this with any word.

相对,你也可以为其他词汇勾勒词景

We can take the word "bye" as in "good bye."

比如“goog bye”(再见)里的“bye”字

And we're now zoomed in over the entrance to the house.

我们放大到房子大门口附近

And we look, and we find, as you would expect,

我们看到,我们发现,你也会想到

a contrast in the landscape where the word "bye" occurs much more in a structured way.

一幅相对的景象,在那儿你看到“bye“高频率出现的结构

So we're using these structures to start predicting the order of language acquisition, and that's ongoing work now.

我们用这些结构,开始预言学会语言的顺序,这是在持续进行的工作

In my lab, which we're peering into now, at MIT -- this is at the media lab.

在我麻省理工学院的研究室--就是现在看到的,那是在媒体实验室里

This has become my favorite way of videographing just about any space.

这成了我最喜欢的空间视频制图方法

Three of the key people in this project, Philip DeCamp, Rony Kubat and Brandon Roy are pictured here.

这个项目的关键人物都在,就是图片里的菲利普·迪坎普,罗尼·库巴特和布兰登·罗伊。

Philip has been a close collaborator on all the visualizations you're seeing.

菲利普是一个密切的合作者,你们看到的视觉化功能就是他负责的

And Michael Fleischman was another Ph.D. student in my lab who worked with me on this home video analysis,

还有麦克尔·菲莱舍曼是我实验室的另一个博士生,和我一起做了家庭视频的分析

and he made the following observation:

是他发表了以下的观点:

that "just the way that we're analyzing how language connects to events which provide common ground for language,

“我们分析语言如何与事件相关,这是语言的共同的基础

that same idea we can take out of your home, Deb, and we can apply it to the world of public media."

我们可以把同样的思路带出你的家,戴,我们可以把它用到公共媒体上”

And so our effort took an unexpected turn.

所以我们的研究有了个意想不到的转折

Think of mass media as providing common ground and you have the recipe for taking this idea to a whole new place.

想到大众媒体提供共同的基础,你就可以把我们的方法运用到一个崭新的地方。

来自:VOA英语网 文章地址: http://www.tingvoa.com/html/20170912/493405.html